QHow do I make a booking with Barkly Driving School?

ATo make a booking you can either call us on 03 9361 2000, apply online via our online booking portal or in person by coming directly to our Ravenhall depot. We highly suggest and encourage all applicants to booking in our office. If you hold an exemption letter, eyesight or medical report, you are required to come directly to our office to book a course.

QHow long is your wait time for bookings?

AOur wait times fluctuate during different times of the year, although we are generally fully booked out for 2 weeks in advance. To avoid disappointment please call us ASAP to secure the closest date.

QCan I book over the phone with an exemption? Or can I email it?

ANo, you must come into our office with your exemption and licence so we can confirm your identity

QIs your training one-on-one or in groups?

AAll Heavy Vehicle courses are conducted one-on-one.

QI have held a car and/or Heavy Vehicle in another country which is not Australia or New Zealand, how can I be booked in to complete a course?

ATo have your overseas licence considered as experience to exempt you from having to wait any waiting periods you need to apply for an exemption directly from VicRoads. You must have the following:

  • Australian Car Licence
  • Have a clean driving record
  • Can demonstrate undue hardship or provide proof of previous driving experience

QWhy do I need a USI number?

AUSI is required for students undertaking nationally recognised training (qualifications, accredited courses, skill sets and units of competency) unless exempt. This includes international students studying in Australia. If you don't have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.

QWhat is your cancellation policy?

AWe have a 7-day cancellation/change of date policy. If you require to change, reschedule or cancel your course we must be notified a minimum full 7 days prior to the commencement of your course. Failure to do this will result in all fees paid being lost. Fees will also be lost if you fail to turn up for your course. Please note all courses include a non-refundable $100.00 administration fee.

QCan I book on behalf of my friend, spouse or child?

ANo – all applicants must book their own course. It is our company’s privacy policy that no bookings are to be made on behalf of another applicant.

QHow long do I have to hand my paperwork to VicRoads?

A12 months from the date stated on your VicRoads certificate of competence issued to you on the completion of your course.

QCan I drive a Truck or Bus before I gain my licence?

AUntil you obtain your heavy vehicle licence endorsement you may drive a heavy vehicle only if you are accompanied by a person who holds a valid licence for the type of vehicle you are driving. You must display ‘Driver Under Instruction’ plates at the front and rear of the vehicle. While learning to drive a heavy vehicle, your Blood Alcohol Concentration must be .00

QWhat are the medical requirements to gain a Bus or Truck licence?

AUnder the Road Safety Act 1986, VicRoads is responsible for ensuring that all licence holders are fit to drive. This law exists to keep you and the community safe on our roads—not to deny your right to hold a driver licence. There are many medical conditions, or a combination of conditions, that can affect your ability to drive safely. Ask a doctor if your condition/s or medication/s could affect your driving. If you are unsure if you require a medical report prior to booking your course, please contact VicRoads directly on 13 11 70 for a confidential discussion.
Medical conditions that can affect driving ability include (but are not limited to):

  • Hypertension
  • Diabetes
  • Sleep Apnoea
  • Vision Defects
  • Epilepsy
  • Hearing Defects
  • Psychiatric Disorders
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis

QWhat to do if you have a medical condition?

AThe law states that you must report any medical condition that could affect your driving. If you have a medical condition, or if an existing condition deteriorates, you must:

  • Contact VicRoads to report your condition.
  • Talk to a doctor about how it might affect your driving.
  • Send VicRoads a medical report from a doctor who knows your medical history.
VicRoads will then undertake a medical review and advise you of the outcome.

QWhat licence can I get with my Victorian car licence?

AYou can apply directly for a Heavy Rigid licence if you have held your Victorian car licence for at least 24 months.

QWhat is the difference between the Medium Rigid and Heavy Rigid licence?

AThe Medium Rigid covers you for any single rear axle vehicle, whereas the Heavy Rigid covers you for "dual" (2 or more) rear axle vehicles.

QWhat can I tow on a Rigid licence?

AYou can tow up to 9 tonnes GVM on any Rigid vehicle. Once you are towing more than 9 tonnes GVM on your trailer, you must obtain a Heavy Combination licence.

QWill I be restricted to driving automatics if I sit an automatic truck?

AThe only time will you be restricted to driving automatics is if you already have an existing automatic condition on your car licence, which only applies to probationary drivers. If you are a fully licenced driver, you will be endorsed with a ‘B’ condition, which means synchromesh (manual).

QCan I go from a Heavy Rigid to a Multi Combination? VicRoads website says I can.

ANo, you cannot. VicRoads website states to be eligible for a Multi Combination, you must have held a HC or a HR licence for at least 12 months plus completion of approved course. The approved completion course is the HC component which must be passed before sitting a MC licence. You can complete your HC with Barkly’s and then book for your MC right away.

QI’m not sure if my Australian licence is over 24 months years old, can Barkly Driving School check for me?

ANo - you must check with VicRoads directly. Barkly Driving School does not have access to this information. It is important you check with VicRoads that your licence is definitely over 2 years old in Australia. You are required to sign a duty of care form to say you have held it for the correct amount of time. If you have provided false information, you will not be entitled to any refunds or course transfers.


Light Rigid
This is a one-day course conducted from our Ravenhall site, one-on-one training, synchromesh 5 speed transmission
Learn MoreBook Online
Medium Rigid
This is a one-day course conducted from our Ravenhall site, one-on-one training, synchromesh 6 speed transmission
Learn MoreBook Online
Heavy Rigid Automatic
Students who already hold a manual car licence who complete their course in an automatic gearbox will be issued with a B condition on their licence.
Learn MoreBook Online
Heavy Rigid Non Synchromesh
This is a two-day course conducted from our Ravenhall site, one-on-one training, non-synchromesh 18 speed transmission
Learn MoreBook Online
Heavy Combination
This is a one-day course conducted from our Ravenhall site, one-on-one training, automatic transmission
Learn MoreBook Online
Multi Combination
This is a one-day course conducted from our Ravenhall site, one-on-one training, automatic transmission
Learn MoreBook Online
Nationally Accredited Training
Barkly Driving School offer both Nationally Recognised Accredited Training courses and Non-accredited training courses.
Learn More

Barkly Driving School is accredited to provide heavy vehicle training and assessment services on behalf of VicRoads